It's not always easy to spot a scam, and new ones are invented every day. If you suspect that you may be a target of fraud, or if you have already sent funds, don't be embarrassed - you're not alone.
Check out some tips below to protect yourself and your loved ones.
Tips to protect yourself and others from Fraud:
- Don’t be fooled by the promise of a valuable prize in return for a low-cost purchase.
- Be extra cautious about calls, emails etc from the Canada Revenue Agency. The CRA will not ask you to divulge personal information, financial information or ask you to pay them in gift cards or prepaid credit cards.
- Be aware of calls, emails or mailings offering international bonds or lottery tickets, a portion of a foreign dignitary’s bank account, free vacations, credit repair or schemes with unlimited income potential.
- Don’t be afraid to hang up the phone, delete the email or close your Internet connection.
- Don’t purchase a product or service without carefully checking out the product, service and company.
- Don’t be afraid to request further documentation from the caller so you can verify the validity of the company.
- Don’t disclose personal information about your finances, bank accounts, credit cards, social insurance and driver’s license numbers to any business that can’t prove it is legitimate.
- Shred unwanted personal information such as bank statements, credit card bills, unwanted receipts, cheques, pre-approved credit applications and old tax returns.
Saanich Police encourage you to protect yourself from fraud by learning how to recognize it. Helpful information on common scams and ways to protect yourself can be found at www.antifraudcentre.ca. Police further urge you to take the time to identify the people in your life who may be vulnerable to these scams.
Anyone with information that may assist the Police in identifying or locating the people responsible for these crimes are asked to call Saanich Police at 250-475-4321 or to remain anonymous call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS(8477).
A/Sgt. Jereme Leslie #228