- We police a great community - and we enjoy a strong connection to that community. Our Block Watch program covers 10,700 homes, our School Liaison Officers serve 48 schools, and we have 1,125 volunteers serving Saanich through our Reserve Program, Block Watch, Ace Team, and student volunteers. Our community survey results show a 96% satisfaction rate, and policing a supportive community is rewarding.
- We are large enough to offer opportunities - We are a large enough department to offer career opportunities and development (161 sworn members policing a population of 114,000 residents, dealing with more than 30,000 calls for service each year). We have opportunities in specialist sections such as bikes, canine section, dive team, schools, forensic identification, collision investigators, street crime unit, traffic safety, emergency response team and more.
- We are small enough to care – with 161 sworn members and 60 civilian support staff there are no strangers in our team; we all know each other, from constables up to the senior executive team. We value the contribution that each person makes, whether sworn members or civilian support staff. We look out for each other and support each other. When you join our team you are more than just a number.
- We integrate with all policing partners - We have 17 police officers and 4 civilian staff members working in integrated units at the federal, provincial and local level. There are great opportunities to specialise in a variety of policing roles, dealing with issues such as road safety, homicide investigations, mobile crisis response, regional domestic violence, child exploitation and more.
- We are committed to employee wellness and development - We support a healthy and appropriate work-life balance for all of our employees and continue our focus on physical and mental health of staff. We provide training opportunities and mentorship to support competency and career development.
- We value and embrace diversity - Supporting diversity increases our ability to deal with the wide range of issues facing Saanich community members. Our staff are valued for their authentic selves; we value diverse capabilities, perspectives and thought.
- We offer a competitive salary - starting at $70,150 and increasing to $100,214 after 4 years. You will be paid from day one, including the time that you will spend at the Justice Institute on Block 1 and Block 3 of your Police Academy training.