This morning there was a grass fire at the side of McKenzie ave near Interurban road.

Witnesses called 9-1-1 to report an active grass fire at the side of McKenzie ave near the Interurban road overpass just after 6am this morning. At the spot where the fire started a black Nissan pickup was seen pulled over which left just prior to the fire starting.

The fire was extinguished by the Saanich Fire Department quickly. Fire fighters believe that an improperly disposed cigarette is the likely cause.

People who are smoking in their vehicle are encouraged to use the ash tray in their car. The grasses around our streets and roads are very dry given our recent hot weather.

Saanich Police officers will be watching for people who toss cigarette butts from vehicles. This does constitute an offence contrary to the Motor Vehicle Act and the Litter Act, and a ticket can be issued.

If anybody knows anything about this incident they are encouraged to contact the Saanich Police.

11-19315

Special thanks to Baremetal.com for hosting

Baremetal